[DeTomaso] Award for the month!

Tony DiGiovanna tonydigi at optonline.net
Thu Jun 3 18:07:37 EDT 2010

I've built with, and without, the slinger.  Never saw any difference.  The
engine that blew the most oil past the main seal had the slinger installed,
so go figure.  The tightest main seal seems to be the engine in which I
installed the new-from-summitspeed timing cover. Think I recall a string
here years ago that old factory timing covers can have poor true position
tolerance of the main seal relative to the crank.  Anyway, seal
concentricity and the condition of the sealing surface on the harmonic
balance, and blow-by volume probably have more affect on main seal leakage
than the slinger.