[DeTomaso] Pulling the camshaft out of a 351C

cullen mccann clarkwgriswold2nd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 10:28:43 EDT 2010

".......It rotates freely but won't budge farther out, with hand pressure.
It goes back into original position easily and still turns nicely there.
(so I haven't screwed the bearings - and it's been very gentle treatment)
Tried it again with a little moly wiped onto the bearings - no change
and it didn't feel dry anyway........."

Hey Dave....this may sound shallow....and I'm probably less experienced than
many of you....but I've pulled one a time or two that was just stubborn, and
the tolerances from the wear pattern on the different bearings maybe were
just slight enough ( literally fractions of .000) to hang up a journal on a
more forward bearing....so....while still being careful...i would consider
just....umm... pulling harder...hehe...I know that sounds dumb...but one
time I did that and it just popped loose. Also I often reattached the upper
timing gear to the end of the cam to give something else to hold on to, to
help support the cam horizontally and take the load off the cam and support
it easier across its length........but you might have tried that. When I say
harder I don't mean use a pry bar...i just mean give it a heavier tug....but
I think that its more of a balance act on supporting the cam evenly on its
way out...or at least as the cam journals pass over each of the bearing
locations.

Just thoughts.....

Cullen