[DeTomaso] Villanova Crown Victoria police Interceptor oil to water oil cooler.

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jun 1 13:34:42 EDT 2010

Boyd, they are made for Ford by Laminova of Sweden, and there are
apparently two varieties. My early ones (on our car since 2008)   came with dash-10
AN lines in tapped holes while others I've seen since have twin steel
hose-bibs going into and out of the oil ports. The paired bibs are retained by a
bolt in a tapped hole; my early rig had no hole drilled nor tapped for a
retainer bolt. IMHO these ports typically included o-rings that do not seal well.
Tapping the oil ports for dash-8 or dash-10 AN fittings makes for more
leak-free connections. No welding is needed to do this. The stock oil lines I've
seen are too short to reach this position; use them and you'll have to
extend the water lines.

Second area to look at: when taking the assembly apart for debris-cleaning,
there are large o-rings with steel shim-washers on both ends. These also
seep water into the oil and vice-versa, but if you clean things, then
contact-cement the o-rings back into the assembly, they don't leak and are still
able to be disassembled later. Note also the core is directional: there's a
built-in baffle on one end thats apparently to slow down oil flow for more heat
removal. For best results reassemble the same way as stock. Note Ford nor
Laminova sell any spare parts, only the assemblies. And if after running it
awhile you think a bigger unit might be better, Laminova USA sells three
other similar assemblies- one with an integral spin-on oil filter.

Finally, the water connections are sized for 1-1/2" hoses but stock Pantera
1-3/8" hoses will go on the Laminova with some difficulty by heating the
hoses in hot water before installation. I cut 14-15" off the engine end of the
big stainless cold-water return pipe under the car and substituted the
Laminova assembly for the cut section, tucked up against the floor right in front
 of the engine. This makes for short oil lines and no added water lines. I
also used an oil thermostat to keep from over-cooling the oil in cold
weather. Not everyone agrees with all this but its your choice. Good luck- J
DeRyke