[DeTomaso] Muffler Opinions

Brent Stewart bjbstewart at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 23:40:09 EDT 2010

All,
The new engine is in and running pretty good, but not perfect.   With 550 HP+,
the current thinking is that my GTS headers / muffler set  up isn't big enough
to let it breath at the higher RPM's.  I have  secured Big Throat headers from
PI, and now am on a quest for a good set  of Mufflers to match.  Turns out this
is a pretty difficult decision, as the SOUND  is pretty important to me and I
probably won't have a chance to hear  them before buying. Obviously, performance
is the most important, but  the last thing I want is to end up sounding like a
tractor or, heaven  forbid, a Viper.

So, I ask for your help.  What would match a high output stroked Cleveland
engine with sound that will make the DeTomaso community proud?  (BTW, i LOVED
the GTS sound and  look on the previous, mostly stock engine).  I really don't
know the  entire solution space, so any info on what I should / shouldn't be
looking for would be helpful too. Options that are currently being  considered
are:

1) Big Throat Mufflers (see: http://www.pim.net/862009Muffler4.jpg).   These
certainly are not conventional with the two pipes, but do have an  extremely
nice look.  and I like the option to angle them up (like the  GTS mufflers do).
Anyone running these? any comments on look / sound?

2) Borla - someone said "check Borla".  So I did at www.borla.com.  Not a lot of
info there, so not sure what would be a good match.

3) Magnaflow - they have a nice oval with single inlet, dual outlet. (see:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=8686).   The
description says that it is meant for imports with mainly bolt on  performance
enhancers, so I'm a little scared of this one.  Also, there  are a half a dozen
options around the tips, how does that affect sound /  performance? anyone have
direct experience with Magnaflow that can  recommend something?

4) Cherry Bombs - Richard Boschert has the Extremes on his stroked Windsor and
they look and sound great. Plus they have a great video
(http://www.cherrybomb.com/)

Sure appreciate your help and advice!!

brent
4328