[DeTomaso] Track committee nightmare....

Tony DiGiovanna tonydigi at optonline.net
Fri Jul 30 20:13:28 EDT 2010

Since we're bashing corvettes, here's a couple of my favorites, though
there's no beating Chuck Engles ;^)

1.  We decide to try something new a couple of years ago, which we fully
explain at the driver's meeting...I said fully.  The first session of the
day will be under full course yellow, no passing, 3/4 speed, single file.
The idea being to warm up the cars, fluids, tires, and drivers, get the
nervous energy out, refresh your race line without the pressure of
point-bys, threshold breaking, etc.  I'm the last car out, tootling along in
a neat line of 25 cars for 5 laps.  Every flag station is waiving
double-yellow flags actively, and this guy in a Vette goes by me,
approaching the turn one apex, like 40 mph faster than my 60 or so, and
proceeds to pass everybody on the track while he's at it.  Oy.  And he was
at the drivers meeting.  AND he was an instructor.

2.  This year, just after the driver's meeting ends, which ends with an
announcement that the 1st session will start in approx 1/2 hour, a guy in a
Vette heads down to pit lane, turns right and heads out onto the track the
wrong way, prior to the first active session.  Luckily, I wasn't still
setting up cones.

Just remember:  You can't predict what people will do.  Be careful out
there.