[DeTomaso] Track nightmare

Dan Mixon tipo874 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 30 18:15:58 EDT 2010

That's classic!

-----Original Message-----
From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com] On
Behalf Of cengles at cox.net
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 15:49
To: detomaso at realbig.com
Cc: jackderyke at aol.com
Subject: [DeTomaso] Track nightmare

Dear Jack,

I am reminded of one of my misadventures. A friend and I decided that we
would take the Pantera up to Ponca City for the last running of the local
SCCA races on the last public road racetrack in the SCCA roster. I had
always wanted to go and this was the last time.

We arrived and found the event. It is a Ponca City park with the race track
being the normal two lane asphalt park road that happened at one place to
fortuitously form a complete loop. The park situation was complicated by the
racer's tow vehicles, tents, race cars, concession stands such that it was a
bit of a county fair held amongst the trees. Did I mention that the SCCA was
going to close the Ponca City track because of the number and proximity of
trees on the road course?

As we attempted to find our way to the parking area and drive along the park
roads, we found ourselves on a road with less pedestrian and vehicular
traffic. It appeared to be a good way to get to the parking area from the
directions we had been given. As we drove along, I was struck by the number
of people that were impressed with the Pantera and were excitedly waving at
me. I waved back and controlled any exuberant public display of speed. As I
drove along, I noticed that we seem to have returned to where we started. I
also noted that some one waved me over and told me that I was driving on the
race course during the lunch time parade session and that not only was I not
supposed to do that, I was also not supposed to be driving the track in the
opposite direction........uh-oh! I was mortified. They were pretty nice
about my major screw up. Ray and I had a laugh later at our famous debut on
the Ponca City road course!!

After you've had a number of this sort of misadventures, you get used to
it----but it was *not* me in the Corvette on your autocross course!!!.

The Bad Driver, Chuck Engles