[DeTomaso] Clutch Slave Repair Kit

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jul 30 14:22:59 EDT 2010

In a message dated 7/29/10 11:52:08 AM, threemacs at aol.com wrote:

I am having a very difficult time trying to purchase a clutch slave repair
kit for my 74 Pantera. From the information I have gathered it is a
"Beck/Arnley Part   071-3438".  The auto supply houses I have called are not able to
match numbers.  I have called Beck/Arnley but they won't sell to
individuals. Does any one know where I can get the kit?
 Nick 7252

Repair of a stock clutch slave cylinder is not often successful, so no real
kit exists to do this- all are adaptions of other slave rebuilds- usually
FIAT or Chevy. The reason the DeTomaso slave isn't often successfully rebuilt
is, its soft cast iron and failure is usually from excessive water in the
hydraulic fluid that pits the iron. If you hone enough to remove deep pits
that tear the seal, the new rebuild kit seal leaks since it no longer fits the
enlarged bore. Not fully honing the pits tears the new seal just like the
old one. Finally, if you somehow manage to successfully rebuild your stocker,
prompt failure of the clutch master cylinder often follows, due to the fact
that the system wears out as a set and fixing one part increases pressures
on the other.
Bite the bullet and replace, not repair the part(s). I suggest a stainless
steel   long-throw from Pantera East. Otherwise, its likely you'll be back
in your repaired system before the end of the year. And this time around,
replace the hydraulic fluid yearly- in the brake system, too. Good luck- J
DeRyke