[DeTomaso] windsor motivation?

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 26 10:24:02 EDT 2010

Windsor
+ 5.0 Mustang development means cheap alum W heads have been around for
years
+ race 5.0 heads flow plenty to make serious HP
+ fewer issues with valvetrain than 351C
+ easier to do EFI, since you can basically just install a 5.0 Mustang setup
+ will make more HP than you can use

- boring - everyone has one

351C
+ if you ever sell, it should be worth more than a similar 351W car
+ It has "the look" - i.e. it looks cooler in an engine bay
+ Stock 351C heads flow more than race 5.0 heads
+ Alum heads are available now - check out CHI 3V.

- Parts are slightly more expensive than 351W.
- 351C blocks are getting hard to find.

o The weights are about the same.
o The block strength is about the same.
o You shouldn't have problems with parts.  Enough people have done 351W that
you should be able to find whatever you need.
o Bellhousing is the same.
o Use a 351W oil pan, but use a Pantera specific pan.