[DeTomaso] Not running ...

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jul 25 15:22:10 EDT 2010

In a message dated 7/25/10 12:04:46 PM, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> I've had the gear pin go before. The car wouldn't start in that case.

Sometimes, if your Italian car feels neglected and bitchy, the drive pin
only partially shears, allowing the gear/shaft to retard maybe 15 degrees.
This happened to us at a track event with Richard's pre-L, and the resulting
exhaust heat from retarded timing nearly burned the rear of the car up!
Note this can only be checked by removing the distrubutor and looking thru
the pin hole. If you cannot see thru the roll pin hole, you have a spring
pin, not a roll pin; change it now before it cracks. Then you can get onto
your starting problem. FWIW, I've also seen 351-Cs that skipped a single timing
chain tooth in a chain that only had 20,000 miles from new, and one tooth
also retards about 15 degrees. Good luck- J DeRyke