[DeTomaso] Not running ...

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jul 25 15:07:01 EDT 2010

In a message dated 7/25/10 12 04 47, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> I've had the gear pin go before. The car wouldn't start in that case.
>
> Now, I can get her to start, but she only chokes to life and will only run
> if I keep on the throttle.
>
> I can see that fuel is getting into the carb. Do you still think it's the
> gear pin?
>

>>>Could be.   Sometimes the pin fails and the gear spins freely on the
shaft, resulting in zero ignition.   Sometimes it fails and the gear rotates
partway and then jams, so the timing is drastically altered but you still get
sparks.

If you've got fuel, and you've got sparks, but the car isn't running, then
my guess would be that the sparks are in the wrong place.   Put a timing
light on it and see?