[DeTomaso] NPC: European car buying advice

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jul 25 01:33:56 EDT 2010

In a message dated 7/24/10 18 20 20, spkorb at gmail.com writes:

> We lost our dream car to an accident.  No, not the Pantera, the 5
> speed BMW 3 series wagon.  In the United States, 5 speeds are
> difficult if not impossible to find.  Is it very difficult and
> expensive to shop for a used car overseas?  We only want to spend $12k
> for a 2003 low millage example, but I fear that as the price is
> depressed for age, we probably couldn't come out ahead.  But it may be
> months and months before we find another example in the states.

It would be all but impossible to find a US-spec car overseas, and the
idiot bureaucrats won't allow a Euro-spec car over here unless it is put through
an extensive and expensive federalization program.   If you're committed to
a five-speed, part out your wrecked car and find an auto car here, then
convert it.