[DeTomaso] Need new shocks - which to go with

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Jul 24 15:35:54 EDT 2010

FWIW, the actual failures in Aldan non-gas shocks can be at two separate
places. #1 place I've seen is the o-ring that seals the external damping knob,
and thats trivial to fix- the knob and valve unscrew, and the o-ring is a
std part (Viton might be a better replacement).
The other is the shock-rod seal, and replacement of that is not trivial,
nor is replenishment of the lost shock oil which is of unknown viscosity and
can transform a shock's action. Finally, we may be comparing apples to
coconuts: Aldan sells a number of different shocks that might fit a Pantera, some
of which are gas-charged. Comparisons should include the shock model.
Dunno if its possible to home-repair the Aldan damping adjust o-ring on
their gas shocks, or whether they're high pressure or low pressure styles.
Konis are high pressure (over 350 psi inside according to their website) so you
do NOT want to try disassembling them at home! In fact, the high gas
pressure alone adds about 40 lbs of lift to any spring you install on such Konis!
FWIW- J DeRyke