[DeTomaso] Matching numbers

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 20:13:13 EDT 2010

Jack,

>>>I think you confused a couple of the numbers.  At least you are confusing me!
(I'll indicate my comments with the ">>>" indicator.)

There are two separate serial numbers found on most Panteras- one for the
chassis and a diferent one for the body number.

>>>I believe there are three numbers.

>>>1) The Chassis number (the sequential number that is part of the VIN, like
VIN=THPNMY04580 therefore the Chassis number in this case is 04580. (Note only the last 4
digits, 4580, is used as the short VIN code in the DeTomaso Registry.)

>>>2) The "Body Service Number" (or BSN) that began in early July 1972, and not always
present in the Post-Ford cars (1975+).

>>>3) The Block Number (or motor number) also described as the Mechanical Service Number.

The 'ordinary' Pantera
chassis serial numbers are stamped into the leftside rear of the engine block,

>>>No this is the Block Number.

the
windshield tag,

>>>The VIN.  (Usually in this sample format: THPNMY04580)

the toebox inside the front hood,

>>>The VIN.  (The 'DETOMASO * 874 *' which precedes the VIN on the foot box stamp is not
part of the official VIN.)

and the fragile white
plastic tag (body serial) found in various locations around the cars.

>>>The Body Service Number ONLY appears on the BSN tag located in the front trunk.

Our
plastic tag is rivited on the passenger's doorjamb and a similar aluminum tag is
rivited above the emission plate on the left rear inner fender.

>>>This second (aluminum) tag you mention is the BLOCK NUMBER tag.  The first (plastic)
tag you mention is the Driver's doorpost or "B" Pillar tag contains the FULL VIN, and the
month and year of production, in numerical form ie: 11/72.

>>>Euro cars usually have a different tag, and it is located on the PASSENGER-side door
pillar.

There may also be a black aluminum tag rivited to the driver's doorpost with the year of
manufacture and the chassis serial.

>>>The black tag you mention???  I have only seen "aftermarket/replacement" tags being
black.

On the bottomside of both headlight buckets is also stamped the car's
chassis serial number. The stamping is not visible unless the bucket is removed
from the car, and the stamps may be partially or completely filled in with
paint. NOT having a number stamped there may indicate an unstamped   service
replacement bucket installed as a result of an accident. I believe most '71s
and post-Ford- built cars did not have this stamping, either; I've only seen
it in '72-'75 Panteras.

>>>I have seen a number on an early 1971 headlight bucket.  (Car 1256 I believe).

Best Regards,

Chuck Melton

With Mangustas, our 8MA 0760 car had '0760', chalked on the backside of
every interior panel in the car: the inner door panels, the underside of the
dash pad, the center console upholstering and the rear cabin pad. The only
other spot there was a serial, was the 'official' number' stamped into the
leftside upper rear strut brace, and that is the only one visible without a
wrench or screwdriver. All this info is available on a routine basis from Hall
Pantera and most other vendors, since they need it to send you the parts that
fit your individual car. FWIW- J DeRyke