[DeTomaso] Matching numbers

Orville Orville at Rubyglass.com
Fri Jul 23 17:32:10 EDT 2010

Mike,
I found a new engine number location today. It is stamped on the backside of
my harmonic dampener. I found it by accident as I was unloading the truck of
all old bits and pieces "left over."

Orville

-----Original Message-----
From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com] On
Behalf Of MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:00 PM
To: msm at portata.com; detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Matching numbers

In a message dated 7/21/10 16 39 35, msm at portata.com writes:

> I received a question on the POCA website about how to determine
> "matching numbers".  As matching numbers are not that important to us, I
> never really gave it any thought.  So, exactly where does one look to
> find the numbers to see if he block is original?

It's quite easy.   There's a dataplate mounted in the front trunk
compartment (which we sort of determined stopped being used sometime in
1973) that
has a 'window' to view the VIN, and has the engine number stamped on it.
There was also a tag riveted on the inside of the engine bay, high and on
the
left side, near the bottom of the left decklid shock, which has the engine
number.   The number is stamped on the left rear corner of the engine block,

just below the cylinder head and above the bellhousing.

That's the only number that can be matched to anything, other than the VIN,
which is stamped on the chassis in the front trunk, and also stamped on a
tag attached to the dashboard, and on a plastic tag on the driver's side
B-pillar.   The last four also are stamped on the inside of the headlight
buckets, and very early cars (pushbuttons and early square doorhandle cars)
had
the numbers stamped all over the place, on the inside of things that were
hand-fitted, such as the window trim, the 'gill' emblems, etc. etc.