[DeTomaso] Need new shocks - which to go with

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 12:12:37 EDT 2010

As most know, we now run Koni gas shocks, and are satisfied with them as
replacements for our 'vintage' Konis. A POCA article in August '07 describes
the changeover and the advantages. The new shocks are 26 lbs lighter than the
old ones, have better damping control due to the high gas pressurization,
and a larger selection of springs- which themselves are cheaper than springs
for the old units. The new shocks have adjustable spring height that makes
setting the car's 'rake' simple & easier, and allows corner balancing. As
always, they are rebuildable & guaranteed.
As with the '80s assemblies, you have to take the shocks off to change
damping- a hardship that will affect maybe a dozen track-oriented Pantera owners
out of 1000. Street guys find a setting that suits them and the damping
control is seldom touched again. For hundreds of dollars extra (different
model), outside-damping controls are available, as are aluminum shock bodies
(only 3/4 lb lighter each!); I advise saving the money for something you'll
actually use now 'n then. FWIW- J DeRyke