[DeTomaso] Need new shocks - which to go with

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 00:47:11 EDT 2010

In a message dated 7/22/10 21 17 48, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> I was interested that when I called and spoke to Bobby Byers, he said
> Konis
> were no good 'cuz you had to take them off the car to adjust the damping.
> Never heard anyone diss Konis before.

The adjustment knobs on the Aldans are of dubious worth.   First of all, I
know several people who have had them simply fall off in their hands.
Others had them simply spin around and around and not do anything.   It's
doubtful that there is any linearity in the adjustment even when they do
work--i.e. how much stiffer is "2" compared to "1"?   And what is the relationship of
"3" to "1"?   It's probably pretty random from shock-to-shock, and even
within a single shock.   I've read some reviews and tests online and the
performance of most budget shocks is pretty disappointing relative to OEM and
quality aftermarket shocks.

The beautiful thing about the Koni shocks as they come from the vendors is
that they are pre-set and pre-calibrated for the Pantera.   The only reason
they are adjustable, is to compensate for wear as they age.   Chances are
you would own them for more than 20 years and they wouldn't have aged enough
to warrant even a single adjustment.   You just bolt them on and forget them.
  They are built with quality from top to bottom, from a genuine, reputable
manufacturer.

The Carrera/QA1 shocks aren't bad either, I don't think, but they're not in
the same league as the Konis, I suspect.

I wouldn't put Aldans on a Disneyland Autopia car!