[DeTomaso] Can I take down a new M6?

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 17:51:49 EDT 2010

Probably not.

The 2010 M6 has a 5.0 liter V-10 with 500 hp at 7,750 rpm and 383 lb-ft torque.
Likely coupled with active traction control which often translates to an
optimized launch with limited tire slip.

A friend who owned a 71 Pantera and a 2002 BMW M5 (only a V-8) told me his M5
was quicker than the Pantera. Then again, his Pantera was nearly stock - usual
upgrades and mild engine.

I expect you'll lose stoplight to stoplight. BUT, the BMW will feel much more
civilized and tame as the driver sits in climate controlled isolation from all
that's happening under the hood and on the pavement. Basically, there's very
little drama (read "excitement") compared to the Pantera. So expect more thrills
from your Pantera!  :)