[DeTomaso] Matching numbers - dataplate mounted in the front trunk

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Wed Jul 21 23:33:58 EDT 2010

Mike
My own April 72 pre-L has no dataplate mounted in the front trunk and it
appears it never did. It also has no holes - for rivets or screws to which
said dataplate  would have been attached. Other owners have reported no tag
was ever installed in thier 1972 Panteras. I don't think it can be assumed
as certain that all 1972 cars produced had this feature? More research is in
order.

My car does have the plate with the matching engine number on it in the
engine compartment, and it matches.

Barry

>>There's a dataplate mounted in the front trunk
compartment (which we sort of determined stopped being used sometime in
1973) that
has a 'window' to view the VIN, and has the engine number stamped on it.