[DeTomaso] European Track Days?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jul 21 21:04:14 EDT 2010

In a message dated 7/21/10 12 17 34, guson at home.se writes:

> Having just spent time at the Nürburgring and the Autobahn I don't think
> either is a substitute for a track day. At the Ring you're sharing the
> track
> with litterally anyone off the street in any type of car. You might get
> stuck behind someone who won't let you pass and there goes your 22E down
> the
> drain. The track is only open for a few hours (after around 5 pm) on
> weekdays, longer on weekends. The first day I was there the track was
> closed
> down when I'd driven two laps due to a violent thunderstorm. No refunds on
> laps you've paid for and not used either. If you plan on driving on the
> edge
> consider that run off zones are almost non-existent (plenty of Armco
> though)
> and if you crash you get to pay for what you break (e.g. rails) and the
> downtime of the track if you need towing I'm told. Check with your car
> rental agency before you take a rental car on the track too.

The very best thing in the world, in fact probably one of the greatest days
of my life, was a dedicated track day at the Nurburgring.   Blasting around
in my GT350 on a closed course was one of the highlights of my life.

There are several outfits that have arrive-and-drive packages there, where
you can rent appropriate cars like Lotus Elise, Porsche 911 etc.   Probably
the best money you would ever spend.

This place is the best known of the bunch:

http://www.rsrnurburg.com/index.php