[DeTomaso] cooling system

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jul 20 15:29:21 EDT 2010

In a message dated 7/19/10 11:52:51 AM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> I have some photos on this page that help illustrate the water flow
> paths in the water pump and the block.  They start about half way down
> the page:
> http://teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&
> Itemid=57&g2_itemId=3042
>
> I think someone else has photos of the thermostat or at least a
> cutaway drawing of how it works.

Interestingly, the 'hat' on the thermostat does NOT completely block off
the bypass orifice, by design.

Other Ford engines (such as the 289/302/351W and FE familes) have a
permanent bypass hose arrangement, where a percentage of the water is run around
the thermostat and back into the water pump, bypassing the radiator.   John
Christian did the math for me and calculated the difference in area between
the size of the opening in the restrictor plate, and the size of the 'hat'
which partially blocks it.   The remaining area is actually greater than the
area of the other Ford engine bypass hoses!

The point being that the system is well-engineered and doesn't need to be
messed with or altered.