[DeTomaso] cooling system

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 18:17:27 EDT 2010

Bob,
I remember the night we went to Coney Island with Ralph I told  you I
thought your car was running hot (based on your          thermostats
reading) Considering all the work you have had done and all the money you
have spent  If it were my car I would start with a brand new set up.
That includes a water pump ,and a thermostat. This way you know exactly what
you have. These are relatively inexpensive parts that are responsable for a
very critical operation of maintaining the proper operating temperature of
your engine.  A faulty set up  (that can be missed due to an old  or
inaccurate sending unit or temperature gauge) could result in your engine
self destructing in a matter of moments if any of the components are faulty
or fail. For a very insignificant additional investment you can have the
peace of mind of knowing that your cooling system is set up properly and
your investment is protected. The fact that your car had one of the "home
remedies) for fixing overheating problems ( the penny used to block and
divert coolant is an ill advised home fix for an underlying problem) is
evidence that 1. there was an underlying problem . 2. There was an attempted
fix using a technique that is not recommended. 3. Proves that your car no
longer had a stock set up and the set up that  you do actually have is
"unknown".
There is absolutely no question (in my mind) that this is the opportune time
to set the car up properly. If your going to do something do it right! Don't
risk your entire car to save a few dollars. You can get a stock water pump (
part # EN3086 <http://www.precisionproformance.com/en3086.php> ) for $69.99
at Precision Performance or  A a high performance water pump ( part #
EN3087<http://www.precisionproformance.com/en3087.php>)
for $190.00 and  a thermostat is cheap. . With your laser thermometer you
can check the temp compared to the gauge.  One serious over heating incident
can destroy your engine..
You know what to do.
Hugh