[DeTomaso] Bronze or Steel Valve Guides

j g notstock at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 10:28:50 EDT 2010

I believe that most of what has been said below is true.
Steel does not work correctly for guides  cast iron with higher carbon and silicon is the primary guide material in american cast iron cylinder heads when they are a seperate piece .
Bronze guides actually expand faster than cast iron so usually will never  come out if proper shrink fit , press fit with adhesive and then an internal reamer to size is accomplished . The next way a bronze guide can be installed is as a screw in part similar to a real long helicoil . The valve guide usually cast into the head at the time of manufacture on heads ,is tapped with a special tap the valve guide helicoil is screwed in then staked then finished reamed to the valve stem  size and clearance . This  gives one a bronze self lubricating guide surface and minimizes problems with press in guides.

jg