[DeTomaso] Chassis Drain Holes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jul 19 01:37:44 EDT 2010

There's no tightly defined place to drill the drain holes. Starting from
the bellhousing area, drill three (or more) 1/2" dia holes, more-or-less
equally spaced along the lower rear frame rails. Also drill a 3/8" hole in the
lowest possible part of each 'horseshoe' shaped rear a-arm mount where its
welded onto the inner fender panel supports. This means four 3/8" holes & six
1/2" holes). Be prepared for a small cascade of talcum powder dust and maybe
mud or water from each hole as you break through.
The lower frame rails have many 'doublers' welded into them; try not to
pick those areas for drilling 'cause the hole's entrance into the inside of
such a thick spot will be raised up so water might not completely drain, and
because its really difficult to drill these holes with a hand drill anyway;
thicker material just makes it worse. Deburr the outside of each hole for
neatness, and go for a drive; you'll leave a contrail of brown dust behind you
for a few minutes. Then you can touch up each drilled hole with rustproof
paint. On cars I have to work on, I first stick a flexible magnet in thru the
big oval holes in the frame rail tops. I'm amazed at what I pull or tease out
of some Pantera's rails! Bolts, nuts, broken spark plugs, big rocks... you
name it... Good luck- J Deryke