[DeTomaso] lower support shaft

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 11:41:13 EDT 2010

The problem I have run into is as follows. My original shaft had to be
hammered out with a 5 lb sledge. The threads on the one wnd (even though it
still had a nut on it were damaged. I bought a new (used shaft) from a
member and it was slightly diferent  It had a small nipple on one end amd is
also slighty longer then the original shaft. Tha parts manual calls for M14
x 1.5 nylock nuts. I purchased several of these via mail order because I
couln't find them in stock locally. Well when I got the they didn,t match
the threads on the new shaft. They would start but they were way to tight to
go on more then a few treads. I checked the nuts against the shaft on the
right side of the car and they fit perfectly. I started to think about the
possiabilties and I can only find  the m14 in 2.0 thread (coarse) or 1.5 (
fine ) the 1.5 fine is what the parts book calls for. I started thinking
that maybe someone made a replacement inSAE because this shaft (that I
Bought from a member) is not identical to the original  and the specid\fied
nuts don't fit. they start to go on but then they bind up.  It turns out
that 9/16's is  the conversion to 14mm and they make a 9 /16's x 18 thread
(fine thread) I need to obtain one of these nuts and see if it fits.
Boyd