[DeTomaso] Entertaining TV on Sat (no DeTomaso0

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 06:12:07 EDT 2010

Just maybe it was a sneaky way of equalizing the cars and DRIVERS without
smashing any movie star egos.  Michael Shortt

On Jul 15, 2010 3:23 AM, <wkooiman at earthlink.net> wrote:

I don't think you were comparing the right numbers.

A 68 Mustang F/B in the Stock class is rated at 10.26.
A 68 440 Charger in the Stock class is rated at 10.40.

A 68 Mustang F/B in the Super Stock class is rated at 9.94.
A 68 440 Charger in the Super Stock class is rated at 10.23.

Neither AFR nor Canfield makes heads for an FE.  Those comments are for the
302.

NHRA allows Edelbrock heads as stock replacements for the 390.  The
Edelbrock heads are an improvement.  They aren't a huge improvement, but
they aren't race heads like Canfields or AFR.

Of course, these numbers simply reflect what people are doing with the cars
today, with years of tuning, testing, and pushing every rule to the limit.
 What happened on the street in the 70's and 80's would have been different,
and possibly a lot different.

However, the numbers sure don't "speak" that a stock 440 Charger would walk
all over a 390 Mustang.  Outrun maybe.  I don't have an issue with saying a
440 Charger is faster than a 390 Mustang.  I have an issue with making it
sound like it wouldn't even be close.