[DeTomaso] A/C Compressor oil capacity question

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Thu Jul 15 02:47:45 EDT 2010

2010-07-14 21:13, JDeRyke at aol.com skrev:
> Several things influence A/C compressor oil volume. The OEM York compressor
> has an oil sump just like a 1-cylinder engine, while rotary compressors are
> sump-less&  only hold oil within the lines so they need less. Some rotaries
> use more- or less- oil than others in certain systems, with certain freons
> or propane derivatives. Also, the stock Pantera system is not a typical A/C.

This may be true for rotary vane compressors, but I doubt that anyone
uses those in panteras.

The "rotary compressors" we use are multi-cylinder piston compressors
which uses a swash plate instead of a crank, and the cylinders have a
cylindrical configuration where the pistons move back and forth in the
cylinders. The swash plate is located in a sump lubricated with oil.
There may be pistons on one or both sides of the swash plate. A Sanden
compressor with 5 bores is a 5 cylinder compressor while a Nippondenso 5
bore compressor is a 10 cylinder compressor as it has pistons on both sides.

They should really not be called "rotary compressors", no automotive A/C
documentation calls them that.

The servicing tool sets often includes compressor specific dip sticks
for checking oil level. The level can't be checked when the system is
charged.

> Too much oil seems to cut down on the effectiveness of whatever refrigerant
> you use. One can't go wrong with with the compressor mfgrs recommendations.
> And you can always ask your vendor what he's found to work best in a
> Pantera. 'Course, it you've pieced the thing together from wrecking yard or
> swap-meet sources, moved the evaporator or substituted parts, you can always try
> your unique system (with the firewall door off) and listen for incipient
> seizure..... Good luck- J Deryke

Thomas