[DeTomaso] Exhaust coating questions?

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Tue Jul 13 15:07:28 EDT 2010

I had mine for the Mach I done by Jet-Hot Coatings.  At the time there
were only a couple houses that did this stuff.  Now there are plenty.

The headers should be as clean as possible down to bare metal.  The
process as I understand it requires bare metal.  Some places will
blast them for you at additional cost.  They will most likely not do
much to the inside except a cursory blast; I can't see them doing a
great job on the inside.  You may do better taking them to a local
place that can blast them for you, to your satisfaction.

The shop that does the coating (yes, I recommend ceramic and not just
plain powder coating), will coat both the inside and the outside.  The
inside may not be as thorough and certainly won't be shiny.  They
can't really get in there to polish it but it will be at least
partially coated.

I had mine done in a light silver-gray.  They looked kind of like a
satin finish chrome (if you can imagine such a thing).  They retained
the look without any spotting, fingerprinting or blueing for years.
Only in the last few years have they started to get a little surface
pitting, but I blame that on the owner parking it outside all the time.

I would do it all again I like the coating that much.

Asa Jay

Quoting steven.liebenow at att.net:

--
Asa Jay Laughton - sent from somewhere other than home