[DeTomaso] Difference in Headers-2v side question

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 23:02:03 EDT 2010

> Is there any reason to ever build a set of aussie, or otherwise, 2V heads,
> when you can buy complete Edelbrock Aluminum 2v-ish heads for under $950?

Price for a pair of Edelbrock heads is over twice that.  Summit is
just under $2000 for a pair of the street Edelbrock 2V heads:

 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-61629/

Notice the price is per "each".  The springs wouldn't have been
suitable for our cam so figure another $100 or so.  Our mildly
ported Aussie 2V heads flowed around 40 CFM more on the exhaust
side but 40 CFM less on the intake side.  With a cam optimized
for the Aussie 2V heads, Dynomation predicts the Edelbrock heads
would make 10 to 30 HP less from 4500 to 6500 RPM but I suspect
I could get equal power out of Edelbrocks with a cam optimized
to their flow characteristics.  That's using Edelbrock's advertised
flow bench data which is usually pretty accurate, unlike some other
cylinder head manufacturers who tend to be optimistic.  I have a
couple of other sets of Edelbrock flow data that were independently
verified and they were both slightly better.

Dan Jones