[DeTomaso] Difference in Headers

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 9 10:30:29 EDT 2010

My take:

Here are 2 instances where I removed a set of headers to be replaced with a different set.

I had Hooker Super Comps on my 428, 2x4's, big solid cam, Mustang.  They were fairly large tube, 2" I think, 4 into 1 headers.  They hung down too low, though.  They hit speed bumps, even when I was going slow.  I replaced them with nickle plated, tri-y, FPA headers.  I think the primary tubes were 2", but they quickly merged into a single pipe.  I bought the FPA's for ground clearance.  The FPA's sounded better - maybe a little higher pitched.  I don't know about HP.  If there was a difference, my butt couldn't feel it.

I had MAC headers in a 93 Mustang Cobra.  Somehow I bent a tube installing them, and they always leaked.  I replaced them with JBA headers, which were slightly larger in diameter.  Oh yeah, I removed the stock headers to install the MAC headers. The MAC headers were slightly louder and deeper than the stock headers, and the JBA were deeper still.

Summary - it seems like the larger the pipe, the deeper the tone (makes sense).  I wasn't able to tell a difference in performance between headers, although I'm sure there was a difference.  Tri-Y seems to sound different.  And finally, the mufflers make a much bigger difference in sound/performance.

Interested in hearing what Goran has to say.