[DeTomaso] NPC: 10K Convertible Wanted

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 17:05:23 EDT 2010

If it's going to be a daily driven type car, or an enthusiast vehicle, a BMW E36
convertible would be a pleasure to own! It's not really a 'collector' car, but
definitely an 'enthusiast' vehicle with ample parts availability, strong vendor
support, and a strong enthusiast community.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BMW_3-Series_convertible_E36_--_06-04-2010.jpg

Specifically, buy a 1996-1999 BMW 328i. They have lots of power, great brakes,
handle like a dream, are very comfortable, get great gas mileage

(I average 26mpg and get 32-33 mpg highway), and have handsome styling!

Avoid the 325 models as they're underpowered. Also, avoid 1995 and earlier
models. The 1996 saw improvements in the engine, transmission and

interior which make it a better, stronger and more durable car even though it
looks the same. And even though the 328 and 325 make almost the same

horsepower, the 328 has more torque and feels SUBSTANTIALLY stronger in around
town driving.

Nice examples can easily be had for under $10,000.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?Condition=Certified%2520pre%252Downed|Used|!&_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&_mqf=0&_qfkw=1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m273&_myi=1996-1999&Make=BMW&Model=3%252DSeries

Check craigslist.org in your area too!

The cars are not appreciating, but the value loss is slow and low, meaning if
you sell it after 5-7 years for half of what you paid, the depreciation will be
only

a bit more than the tax, license, and registration if buying a new car. For what
I paid for my 328i, the monthly gas savings alone (from my last daily driver)
over the last 4 years have paid for the car!

Cheers!
Garth