[DeTomaso] windshield problem

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 5 20:40:23 EDT 2010

I re-installed my stock factory windshield with new weatherstrip (pretty sure from wilkinson).  I first tried put-the-string-around the inner gasket and pull it through method, as reported by others on this forum in the past.  not even close, but I cut up my fingers fighting with with sharp edges of the body.  I then completely gave up the idea of using any sealer, and used a knife to remove a good deal of the inner gasket where it would not pull through.  with lots of silicone spray, and 2 people pushing hard but not bashing, the windhshield eventually fit, although it sits up a tiny bit at one corner (only I notice) and there is no way it is waterproof.  For a while, I was sure I was going to break it, and only the constant precautions from my assistant kept me from using a hammer.

The original windshield came out easily before I painted the car, so I suspect the new weatherstripping is significantly bigger.  justin