[DeTomaso] 03/04 Viper

Keith R. Verges KVERGES at figdav.com
Thu Jul 1 12:43:12 EDT 2010

Lurking douchebag Viper-owning digest mode user here

Since I still lurk I thought I'd mention my personal Viper experience.
I have owned 5 including an '03. As long as you do not track the car
it will be mechanically very robust and you should have zero problems.
The oil sump is defectively designed and will oil starve in long high-
g left turns. MotorSport Ranch has eaten a few and nearly ate mine but
I noticed oil pressure and shut it down before I had damage and
eventually got rid of the car for that reason. I am on the extreme end
of driver and don't expect anyone to have a similar issue.

The 03 is also a bargain but is the least-loved of the Vipers. I still
have my 01 GTS as I think it is perhaps the most classic domestic car
produced in the last 25 years and the Gen II Vipers are holding value
or even starting to appreciate.

A good resource is viperclub.org for all manner of information on the
cars.

Personally I would either buy a Gen I or II (1992-2002) car as they
are better looking to me and will hold value better.  If buying a
later car I would buy a 2008 or later as they have 600 hp and the oil
sump is revised. These cars are simply the fastest street car you can
buy.

Finally the owner better know how to drive. The cars do not have
electronic nannies and they have far less understeer than most
domestic cars. They are Vipers and they will bite

Back to woodwork .....

Keith Verges
Figari & Davenport
901 Main St. Suite 3400