[DeTomaso] Ignition switch

steven.liebenow at att.net steven.liebenow at att.net
Tue Jan 26 14:06:49 EST 2010

Guys,

I have to wonder here......if you are all on a wild Goose chase!!!?

The start position of this switch only provides current to the starter solenoid and the coil AFAIK.....until the engine starts and the key is returned to the run position, which then powers everything else up. High current items like fans and AC etc should not be energized.

What I saw in Garth's most excellent write up, is a simple copper rotating switch affair that most likely succumbs to a bad case of gummy grease and dirt, and eventually burnt contacts or heated wires due to the excessive resistance in the switch.

In my Goose, the culprit was a bad run circuit. It eventually overheated and melted down the insides of my switch which then fell down and shorted out the main power wire.....switch should have been mounted 180 degrees around....duh! Hot on top!

If your ignition switch is hot during running, you have a problem. Luke warm is not so bad....but HOT or really warm could be the beginning of a problem.

What I am hearing here, about putting in start buttons does nothing to alleviate any issues with the run circuitry of the switch.  I would think you would be better served spending time to clean the switch contacts and apply fresh grease before I would dork around with a start button.

I have a start button on my starter solenoid, and I surprise myself every time I inadvertently lean on it while working on the car.....wheel chocks and neutral!!!!!

Another thing to consider if you are convinced your wiring is so bad that you need a start button....relays to isolate the start switch so that it does not crank when the key is off, and also, once the engine is running, that it doesn't engage the starter if pushed.....that latter thing could be a challenge....

Much simpler to just install a new electrical portion of the ignition switch! You'd spend hundreds of dollars to put in a new aluminum radiator, which may or may not do a better job than the brass one....but you won't spend $150-200 for a new ignition switch?

Steve