[DeTomaso] Removing Heater/AC ...

Rod Kunishige rkunishige at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 25 23:59:08 EST 2010

Mike is right on clamping.  I have shutoff valves.

Draining the heater core somewhat easier by having an empty soda bottle (or water) ready to catch the flow from the core as I disconnect one of the two lines under the dash. Use a few bath towels surrounding the metal tubes before I open the first of the connecting hose.  Once drained, repeat the process for the second hose.

Attachments:

71s before serial number 1910 have different a/c-heater boxes than later (like L models).  But, BOTH have a single stud with a nut and washers to align the unit on the top center point of the unit.  AND two slotted brackets located on each side at the top forward position about 1 1/2 inch from the front edge.

The interal integrated a/c - heater units are interchangeable between both model types.  However the metal box encasing it is not.  This is simply because of the air vents on the dash are different.

Good luck to you both.

Rod Kunishige

From: mikeldrew at aol.com Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010

1/24/10 14 01 53, eanderson at geotracinternational.com  writes:
> As well, how much coolant can I expect to drip out once I cut the hoses??  They need to be replaced anyway ...
This is just a guess, but my inclination would be to pinch off the heater hoses in the engine bay (hopefully you have heater hose shutoff valves already installed, but if not, good vice grips sandwiching strips of wood to protect the hoses will work, then disconnect the engine bay hoses from the pipes going forward, open the heater valve, and elevate the nose of the car to enable the heater core to drain. That will hopefully allow you to then remove the hoses in the cabin without too much mess.
I was supposed to be doing this job on a friend's Pantera this week in fact...we'll probably get to it next week now.  Mike