[DeTomaso] Heater box removal

Larry Weston lplugw at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 25 07:36:53 EST 2010

I have just done this to 7102. Those three bolts are it. The A/C hoses do not have to be removed. but you're right, the heater hoses do. I have the heater shut off valves in the engine bay and loosened the clamps and pulled the hoses off them to drain a bit less than 1/2 gallon of coolant, but that includes what was in the lines in the tunnel too. I used a little compressed air to help push out all the coolant and didn't spill a drop on my carpets when I slit the hoses in the cabin with a knife.  Cutting them was the easiest way to get them off and I wanted to renew them anyway.
Perhaps now would be a good time for you to install a set of valves in your heater lines too. Clamp off your hoses in the engine bay like Mike suggests with vise grips and cut the lines in the engine compartment at an appropriate spot for a set of ball valves. Now you can completely drain your cabin lines. You can get the ball valves at a good plumbing supply house along with a set of properly sized brass hose barbs. And, if you get the drainable valves for just a bit more money, in the future all you'll have to do is remove a small brass cap on the side of the valve to drain your cabin coolant. In fact, I just talked myself into getting a set of drainable valves and putting them in while I've got mine half torn apart.
Larry