[DeTomaso] BJ Insurance Experience

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sun Jan 24 15:05:37 EST 2010

Dave wrote -

<<<<< I am currently paying $190 (annual)with State Farm but I am
really getting nervous about how I might get treated if there is an
issue. >>>>>

I have previous State Farm claim experience on 2511. They were great.

I had a policy with SF as a classic. I had provided all my previous
owner's restoration receipts and a professional appraisal at time of
underwriting. I had what I KNEW (in writing) to be an AGREED amount
policy in the amount of $45,000.

Eleven months later I was the motivating force (i.e. idiot)
responsible for a single car versus granite rock and tree accident.

Even with local contacts and SF assistance, we could not find a local
shop willing/ qualified to take on the repairs.

I wound up having 2511 trailed to an LA area vendor - 270 miles - at
SF expense.

The vendor wrote up an estimate of about $33K.  SF accepted the
estimate. The body man applied for an additional $2K for unforeseen
expense. SF paid.

I was told by my claims adjuster that the normal limit for repairs,
above which they just call it totaled, is 70% of the policy value.

SF wound up paying about 80% for my repairs.

Their rates went up about $60 annually on my primary vehicle, an F150
truck.

The Pantera rates did not increase.

I have recently upped the policy to $55K, which is their limit for
agreed without a supporting appraisal. Annual cost is $365.

As has been urged by many previously, get IN WRITING something that
states your policy is for an AGREED value. With that in hand, based on
my experience, SF is a good neighbor.

Larry