[DeTomaso] Fwd: Ignition switch

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sat Jan 23 12:55:24 EST 2010

Good info, thanks.

Some Web searching failed to find it on eBay, but Google has a seller
listed:

http://www.armstronglock.com/product_info.php?products_id=150

It is described as follows:

Houdini Lock has become an industry standard for locks used in both
heavy commercial applications and residential usage. The Non-petroleum
based product will not gum up, drives out moisture, and cleans as it
lubricates. No Teflon, Silicone, or Graphite is used in the product.
Case orders are also available. Contact Armstrong Lock at 407-894-7233
for more information on this product.

I have always been an advocate for micro-pulverized graphite lock
lubricant, but interestingly this product specifically says it does
not contain any.

As an aside, in my ventures inside our lock housings, I have been
unable to find any spring - in the tumbler or the housing - that
facilitates the key popping back out. It appears to be a function of
an internal beveled ramp and the slight friction obtained with the
key's removal.

Though, again, the key's return to RUN after turning to START is
controlled by a spring contained in the electrical portion that screws
to the back of the housing. If that spring breaks, there is no return
to RUN.

Larry