[DeTomaso] Fwd: Ignition switch

tmshinro at aol.com tmshinro at aol.com
Sat Jan 23 11:59:32 EST 2010

 I'd thought I throw this out on the subject of troublesome tumblers.   My Pantera ignition switch started sticking after I got it back from the body shop when it was restored 23 years ago.  It wasn't real bad, but on occasion the tumbler wouldn't pop out when I removed the key and I had to cock the key to use the tip to pull it out.  The problem gradually got better over the years but still occurs every now and then.

I also have a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo that over the course of 14 years of ownership developed a similar but worse problem.  When the temps started to cool (starting in the fall lasting until summer) I couldn't get the key to turn once inserted in the ignition.  There was a fair amount of movement with the key in the ignition and I would have to jiggle/wiggle the key repeatedly to finally get it to turn.  Got so bad that I never drove the car in the late fall and early spring if I couldn't leave the key in the car.   I was afraid that I had caused premature wear on the tumblers because I had a big key case hanging from the ignition key for the first 10 years I drove the car.    During warm weather the problem always went away.

Last fall, I finally took the 944T to a locksmith and they squirted some lock lubricant called "Houdini" into the ignition switch.   Key turned like butter each and everytime afterwards.  I also sprayed some Houdini in my passenger door lock which became troublesome after I had the car in the bodyshop four years ago and the stickiness immediately went away.   Ended up spraying the rest of the lock cylinders since they offered (best of all it was free).    I tried the ignition later this winter in very cold temps and had no problems turning the key.

I intend to spray some of this stuff in my Pantera ignition this spring to see if it fixes that problem as well.

For what it is worth.

Tom

In a message dated 1/22/10 17 28 0, fstoye at aol.com writes:

> The key in my car won't turn after it's been removed and reinserted. I
> have to really jiggle and tweak the key in order to make it turn. Either
> the
> ignition switch's tumblers are bad or the key lobes are bad. Is there any
> way
> to  fix the switch other than replacing the entire switch assembly?

The problem is probably something completely different, and easy to deal
with.

Take a look at this photo:

This is an ignition switch with the switch removed.   Note that the face of
the tumbler is flush with the chrome surround.

Now, check this one out:

Same switch, with the key installed.   Note that the tumbler has moved
inwards about 1/16th of an inch.

In order to turn, this tumbler must first move inwards, which normally
happens when you first insert the key.   But here's the catch.   When you remove

your key, the tumbler is supposed to pop out flush again, but sometimes it
sticks.   Then, the NEXT time you put your key in, it bottoms out, but you
can't turn it.   Don't ask me why.

The short-term solution is to use a paper clip with a tiny hook on the end
of it, slide it into the key hole, rotate it so that it catches on the
inside, and then pop the tumbler out flush again.   Then you can insert, and use

your key normally.

As for how you get the thing to stop sticking?   I'd ask a locksmith's
advice there.

And if your switch really is terminal, and the problem is more profound
than this, your only solution is probably to replace it.   I've got complete
assemblies in stock, for substantially less than what the vendors, meaning
that they are only expensive instead of ridiculously expensive!