[DeTomaso] Ignition switch

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Fri Jan 22 21:28:21 EST 2010

Yes, it could be the tumblers.  Not likely the key.

It also could be the electrical portion that screws onto the rear of
the lock housing.

That unit turns with the key to move the contacts for ACC, RUN and
START.

That unit, with stock wiring, handles WAY too much amperage and is
known to self-destruct. If it has come apart enough, it could restrict
the key's rotation.

The link Ron gave is for rebuilding that unit.

If you can't rebuild it, or don't want to try, I have some NOS units
for sale.

Current eBay auction here:

http://tinyurl.com/y9b6y9p

But first, I'd drop the steering column - try making some slings to
hold it from full drop - and remove the electrical unit from your
housing. Just two phillip screws. Then try the key and see if the
problem is gone, or still there.

Then you'll know where to direct your effort - lock barrel or
electrical portion.

You should probably disconnect the battery before starting this task.

Larry