[DeTomaso] Draining cooling system

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Jan 22 03:28:34 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/21/10 9:05:21 PM, davel at emspace.com writes:

> Ha - it took me a half hour to find the drain cock. Now - does anyone
> have a tip to avoid making a big mess with glycol. Maybe jam a piece of
> surgical tubing into it?

Sure- that works depending on what kind of drain your radiator has- there's
very little pressure involved. Another option, now that the system is
empty, is to braze or weld a lump on one of the the bent pipes connecting to the
under-car water line and drill/tap it for a second drain. The rad drain
never completely empties the system.
On our car in the Fluidyne radiator's drain boss, I installed a pipe-to-AN
bushing and a short piece of hard line to a shutoff valve that hangs down
and is bracketed to the backside of the radiator cowl. The valve is barely
visible but can be reached, with 245-50 front tires, without jacking up the
car. FWIW- J DeRyke