[DeTomaso] Draining cooling system

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Fri Jan 22 00:28:23 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/21/10 21 05 21, davel at emspace.com writes:

> Ha - it took me a half hour to find the drain cock.
> Now - does anyone have a tip to avoid making a big mess with glycol.
> Maybe jam a piece of surgical tubing into it?
> Or make a wacky funnel to drain through the wheel well?

Note--I haven't yet been smart enough to implement this solution myself.
But I have seen other Panteras that have the normal
dribble-all-over-the-place petcock replaced with the style that incorporates a hose barb.   That
then allows you to hook a piece of tubing to it when necessary, and neatly
drain the coolant.

If you have an aluminum radiator, it's a good idea to use a sacrificial
anode.   These things replace the drain cock.   Unfortunately they don't lend
themselves to being used as a dribble-free way of draining the radiator, but
I think it's more important to protect the system.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-32060/

I have one for the radiator in my Cobra, but haven't yet overcome the heavy
inertia which prevents me from actually taking the time to drain the
radiator and change it out--so it rattles around under the seat instead!