[DeTomaso] What I like about my car

Steve Hawkins shawkins777 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 21 19:37:07 EST 2010

Why not just get a 3 speed switch?

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com] On
Behalf Of Larry Weston
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:53 PM
To: oldwheel at mts.net
Cc: detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] What I like about my car

I have decided to get the model BM4320 blower motor too.  I've got an idea
on wiring that will use one SPDT toggle switch in the drivers kick panel in
conjunction with the dash fan switch to get all three speeds. The SPDT will
send the low dash switch power to either the low or medium blower motor
coils, the high dash switch position will go directly to the blower motor
high speed coil. Seems easy enough. My new issue is that while one blower
wheel came off the old motor just fine, the other suffered a broken shaft
tab due some rust locking it on the shaft. I'm going for a new pair of
blower wheels from Nostalgic. At $16 each and the effort get at them, it's
worth it. Nostalgic air's blower wheel is listed as 3 1/4" dia. and 3 3/4"
long, the only difference being that my existing one measures 3 3/16" dia.

Just for the heck of it I took apart the old motor to see what was wrong.
The brushes were about 50% gone and the commutator was kind of burnt
looking. I polished it up with a pencil eraser, oiled the bearings and put
it back together. I hooked it up to a battery and it spun like a turbine. I
couldn't believe how fast it ran. So I left it hooked up and running for
half an hour then took it apart and checked it. The commutator was already
getting crudded up again. It's not worth trying to save. Thanks all.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390710/direct/01/