[DeTomaso] More valvetrain for 6143

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Jan 21 14:45:14 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/21/10 8:55:58 AM, ehpantera at yahoo.com writes:

> I don't know how you can check your valves. If I don't know what they
> are, I replace them.
> Mark

First, Ford valves are magnetic and most of the billet one-piece valves are
of non-magnetic stainless. Second, they will (as Bill Gaino said) have
three grooves for stock keepers, and one-piece valves are always made with
single grooves- which means that when you change valves, you also need a set of
single-groove keepers. The stock retainer washers will fit as-is.
The big deal about this is, production valves are made with separate heads
and stems that are friction-welded together, which works OK up to maybe 5000
rpms. Or if the engine gets really hot like on a long, long climb up a hill
in the lower gears. Then the weld(s) break, the head comes off and destroys
the engine. Happens not only to Ford engines of all sizes but also VW and
many others.
And cheap 'stainless' valves from India or China may also be welded
together. Look for American-made valves that actually SAY they're one piece, not
just 'stainless steel'. Cheap grades of off-shore 'stainless' may be weakly
magnetic. Good valves will be around $14-16 each in name brands; cheaper=
suspect. Look at them as insurance, not power-producers. Good luck- J DeRyke