[DeTomaso] Door Speakers

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Jan 20 20:37:39 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/20/10 5:06:03 PM, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> Does anyone have any advice for mounting 6" (round) door speakers? (I am
> installing Focal speakers if you want specifics.)
> I am looking at the lower portion of the panel, preferrably nearer to the
> armrest.

That's the most common place and about the only hidden space in the cabin.
But in recent years owners have taken to NOT mounting speakers directly into
the upholstered door panels, instead mounting them flush with the inside of
the door frames. Then they carefully cut ONLY the door panel backing-
usually plastic or hardboard- and add perforations through the vinyl upholstery
for speaker air movement- sometimes in a 'DeTomaso' logo pattern.
I like this method because with my long legs, I was forever snagging the
protruding speaker grilles with my shoe as I entered, popping it off and
causing a delay in leaving while I groped around trying to replace it. Also, most
speakers come with plastic weathershields to counteract rainwater running
down the inside of the door. Be sure you install them; rainwater does your
speakers no good at all. Good luck- J DeRyke