[DeTomaso] More valvetrain for 6143

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Jan 20 19:56:30 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/20/10 11:32:48 AM, davel at emspace.com writes:

> the roller shaft is centre-peened in and the whole ^%$#@ thing is visibly
> bent sideways when you match it up with another.
> If there's any good news - a single sells for $11.

Ok on the springs. One just cannot tell by looking at them how stiff they
are. I'm used to performance springs that are run in groups of 3
concentrically on each valve. $11 ea is about right for semi-roller rockers. Consider
upgrading all 16 rockers to the full-roller units The axles are solid drill
rod and will not bend, and the needle bearings are much lower friction than
these sort-of-rollers.
FWIW, aftermarket oilers are usually set up as a tube brazed or screwed
longitudinally into each rocker cover to bathe the valve springs - and rockers-
with oil to keep from destroying them from heat. THey need to be attacxhed
to the oiling system with high pressure hoses. They are called "spray bars";
Larry Stock of Pantera Parts Connection in Reno runs such things on his
street/race Pantera. In stock form they are simple 'fingers' spot-welded inside
stock rocker covers. Oil mist collects on the fingers and drips off,
hopefully onto the pivot points of the rockers. If the car is not proceeding
straight and steady, who knows where the drips land....Good luck- J DeRyke