[DeTomaso] Epoxy in Injector Pockets????

j g notstock at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 18:50:27 EST 2010

i personaly like welding , however in all my perhiperal port rotary engines as well as in the bridge port 6 port motors the ports are either completely filled with JB weld and then shaped or are filled and left alone , this is done on the cast iron end housings as well as the area on the aluminum housings that I insert a threaded tube for the intake perhiperal port.
The epoxy (JB weld) holds up just fine , just make sure that the tubes are roughened up with  sand paper  on the outside and the manifold and injector tubes are super super clean and oil free. ( I  etch the tubes and manifold  holes with hydrochloric acid , soap and water wash then acetone wash everything )  use aluminum duct tape inside the manifold runner to hold everything in place while it cures , make sure to do all of this in a warm dry room . wait at least 24 hours before you move anything after the epoxy is applied. Strip off the  tape then use a porting tool to clean up and blend the injector tube into the runner and clean up the epoxy over flow inside. you may also want to build up a fillet of epoxy around the tubes on the outside of the manifold runner to ensure that a good seal and a mechanical stress spreader is made by the fillet.

jg