[DeTomaso] pushrod guide plates

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 18 23:12:03 EST 2010

I have CompCams guide plates and pushrods.

I had a set for 5/16" pushrods and guide plates.  They were aligned
perfectly left-to-right, but some of the pushrods rubbed in the bottom of
the U (not just the sides).  I didn't notice it until one finally broke.
The pushrod hole in the head was small enough to prevent disaster.  The
pushrod rubbed on the head, which kept the rocker on the valve stem.  If it
had slipped onto the retainer, I might have dropped a valve.  I wonder what
that feels like.

I replaced the guide plates 3/8" plates and pushrods - from CompCams.  Once
again, they fit perfectly (left to right), but they rubbed in the bottom of
the U.  I ground these down to prevent rubbing.

And yes, I'm aware that you can adjust the guideplates not just left/right,
but also fore/aft (towards the lifter galley, towards the headers).  There
wasn't enough play to prevent them from rubbing - without a small amount of
grinding.

I also measured for the proper length pushrod.  I used the method Jack
described with a magic marker.  I think I used masking tape instead of magic
markers, though - can't remember.  If the pushrods are too short, the mark
left by the roller is too close to the lifter valley.  I didn't have a
pushrod length checker, so I defaulted to redneck mode.  I adjusted the
valves to spec, and then I unscrewed the rocker nut until the mark was right
in the middle of the valve stem.  I then figured that threads/inch *
rotations = the additional length needed.  By coincidence, it's the standard
length pushrod for a 429/460.  I ordered a set, and rechecked.  Now they're
right on the money.  Right or wrong, the redneck method seems to have
worked.

By the way, 351C rockers aren't just different by the ratio.  If I remember
correctly, a BBC has the pivot lower in the rocker.  You'd think it doesn't
matter, but I think it does.  I'd guess (and I'm only guessing) that using
BBC rockers in a 351C could cause valvetrain issues - or maybe valve guide
issues.