[DeTomaso] I need some advice from you Fordies

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 13:33:16 EST 2010

I had all kind of engine problems in 2001 when my engine was rebuilt. It
would bent pushrods every 500 miles, and Mr. Drew and I suffered
tremendously on a cross-Europe trip that ended with the car on a flatbed and
me in a rental car.

The causes were many, but one of them was that the stock guideplates were
sideloading the pushrods... the mechanic cut them apart and rewelded them so
that they would do their job - "guide" but not sideload. There were other
problems that contributed to a short engine life, but I would recommend
always checking to make sure that the guideplates aren't binding the
pushrods or you could have problems...

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"