[DeTomaso] I need some advice from you Fordies

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 17 19:26:12 EST 2010

It could be as simple as the guide plates being too far to one side.  I
spent a lot of time aligning my rockers.  I didn't have to cut/reweld them.

Before you tighten the rocker stud, you can slide the guide plate left and
right (and up/down).  If you slide it to the left, the rocker tips slide to
the right - and vice versa.  You keep fudging with it until they're in the
center for both intake and exhaust.

I don't know about the galling.  I'd guess it's due to oiling (lack
thereof).  One of the reasons I went with Crane Gold Race rockers is because
of comments I heard about how it handled oiling.  On one engine, I cut the
tops off of an old set of valve covers, and ran the engine.  If you try it
without valve covers, you'll shoot oil like a little oil well.

I also spent a lot of time making sure nothing was rubbing or binding.  Most
of my intake pushrods were rubbing the guide plate (in the wrong place -
they always rub on the edges).

If it were me, I'd remove the rocker and inspect it more closely.  If it's
discolored, it probably overheated.  I'd think a little blueing is okay, but
I'm not an expert.  If it has galling, I'd replace it for sure.  A new
rocker is cheaper than a new valve.

I'd also check the alignment of the rockers - especially #8.  The rollers
should be centered on the valve stem.