[DeTomaso] Removing glue-on mirrors

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 17 14:00:43 EST 2010

I had some replacement front quarters made/formed of scratch resistant lexan, you can drill them for fixing a mirror or helicopter vent etc.

The biggest challenge for mirrors IMO is getting a good view that isn't impacted too much by the window upright or the mounting itself. I had Vitaloni baby turbos on the '74 and turned the mounting backward to provide better vision. I pre-mounted them to an arc of steel I cut and then just slid that down behind the window gaskets, no glueing, no mess and no cover up required on the inside. They never vibrated or came loose.

Not my car, but here is the same set up.... http://www.poca.com/index.php/gallery/?g2_itemId=15121

More recently I read someone had actually removed the quarter window and had a full modern side glass fabricated. For the right car I'm sure that would be a vast improvement in function and look, but obviously now you don't have anywhere to mount the mirror, other than back on the door.

Julian (still thinks the Vitaloni California mirrors are the best on a Pantera)